Activision’s deal with Xbox is already working: data suggests that more US adults are becoming interested in Game Pass

It seems that Microsoft’s recently completed deal to acquire Activision Blizzard has already resulted in a small explosion in the number of people considering subscribing to Xbox Game Pass.

This is according to data collected by a consumer analytics firm CivicSciencewhich conducted polls among US adults with the goal of determining the impact the deal would have in terms of helping to stimulate more interest in Microsoft’s gaming offerings.

Conducting two separate surveys, one in 2022 and one in 2023, asked people how likely they are to “subscribe to Xbox Game Pass services now that Activision Blizzard games will soon be included “, CivicScience found a slight year-over-year. progress among those who say they can or are relatively likely to do so.

“Today, 8% of surveyed respondents are ‘likely’ to sign up for Xbox Game Pass, and 9% are ‘somewhat likely’ to subscribe now that Activision Blizzard games are included – for a total of 17% of potential new subscribers (based on excluding current subscribers),” wrote Sara Shriber of CivicScience in a post documenting the poll results.

“This compares to 5% ‘very likely’ and 7% ‘somewhat likely’ to subscribe in January 2022,” he added.

Instead, the company reported a slight decrease, from 88% in 2022 to 83% in 2023, in the number of people who answered that they are not likely to subscribe to the service now that ActiBlizz titles are available on the horizon, with Xbox boss Phil Spencer recently confirmed that 2024 is likely to be the point where the publisher’s games will begin to arrive on Game Pass.

Interestingly, the sample size of the company’s 2022 survey is reportedly slightly larger than its 2023 version, with the former based on 2,978 responses to the latter’s 2,209. Although this is likely due to the fact that the responses to the 2022 version were collected over a slightly longer period, it tends to suggest that the trends may be more pronounced with the same number of people surveyed.

To try and measure the “potential reach of the Microsoft deal”, CivicScience also surveyed some people who are not currently subscribed to Game Pass about the Activision Blizzard titles they play regularly.

Among a sample of 791 such people, 9% responded that they play Call of Duty, World of Warcraft, or Diablo at least once a week, with Hearthstone and Overwatch gaining an additional 8% and 5% respectively. This sounds like potentially good news for Microsoft, with CivicScience arguing that these groups could be “audiences that can convert and subscribe to Xbox Game Pass.”

Naturally, whether any of this actually ends up translating into a big material increase in Xbox revenue remains to be seen, but it’s interesting to think about nonetheless.

If you are one of the current Game Pass subscribers, you can enjoy the terrifying hallucination Like A Dragon: Ishin for free.



Subscribe to Game Pass now

Access hundreds of great games for Xbox and PC when you become a Game Pass member. Benefits include playing new games on the first day, enjoying new game additions every month, and you can get exclusive member discounts and other free benefits. Choose from Xbox Game Pass, PC Game Pass, or a Game Pass Ultimate subscription so you can play all your favorite games on your console, gaming PC or on your phone, tablet or TV using the cloud. Prices start at just £7.99 per month from Microsoftor you can support our site when you purchase Game Pass subscriptions from our eShop.

Buy now


Leave a comment