Super Smash Bros. Fans Are Worried About Nintendo’s New Rules

Nintendo’s relationship with grassroots competition scene around it Super Smash Bros. The games are still not good, but now it may have hit an all-time low. Fans of the company’s wildly popular fighting game franchise are collectively freaking out about a new set of tournament guidelines that some believe will harm existing ones. broken esports scene.

Posted on October 24th on Nintendo’s UK and Japan websites, the rules set strict limits on all “community” tournaments. According to the new guidelines, in addition to non-commercial events, broken Tournaments may also be limited to 200 participants, cannot place prizes above $5,295, have no sponsors, and are prohibited from using modified versions of Nintendo games, such as the popular ” Project M” hack on Super Smash Bros. Melee. Tournament organizers are not even allowed to sell food, drinks, or merchandise.

While the guidelines do not ban all commercial tournaments outright, they do require the companies behind the events to obtain special licenses directly from Nintendo. However, the company said that it is “at Nintendo’s sole discretion whether or not a licensee is granted to a corporation or organization.” Given Nintendo’s track-record, many fans are concerned that this will lead to some of these restrictions spilling over into larger esports events, or creating a Smash Bro. tournament is a headache to even bother with the first place.

“Ah yes, it’s that time of year where Nintendo remembers to ruin the day every broken player,” tweeted Samuel “Dabuz” Buzby, one of the highest ranked players in the world. “Fuck Nintendo, they’re like a 5 year old screaming for attention all the time when it comes to competitive Smash,” tweeted Adam “Armada” Lindgrenhas long been considered one of the “five gods” of Smash Bros. Melee.

Juan “Hungrybox” DeBiedma, one of the other “five gods,” threatened to continue running his own tournaments until Nintendo’s lawyers contacted him personally. “I ran Coinbox,” he said during a recent livestream. “I’ll keep running it in January, I’ll keep running it in February, March, and April, I’ll run it every fucking week until I get word from them directly. I will not stop because of fear. They should come directly to me with the document. Until I called their fucking bluff.

DeBiedma Nintendo has long been criticized for failing to support its competitive community like other video game companies, notably Capcom Street Fighter. Nintendo famously tried to ban the Sugbuanon finals from the broadcast of Evo 2013 before finally backing down in the face of a massive backlash. But that neglect has become the enemy in recent years, with Nintendo being accused extinguish different tournaments their inclusion of third-party, fan-developed services and modifications of its games. After Sony bought Evo in 2022, the organizers of the biggest fighting game tournaments of the year, Nintendo pulled Smash Bro. from the event completely.

The company would have its own Smash Bro. league organized by Panda Global. However, compliance with a cancellation full of drama at the Smash World Tour Video Game Boot Camp event in 2022, many accused Nintendo and Panda Global of conspiring to squash the competitions. The subsequent boycott of Panda’s league eventually led to it disbanding at the start of 2023. After Nintendo announced new tournament guidelines today, someone allegedly leaked it a Panda Global pitch deck for this broken Bros. league, and it appears to point to a generous collaboration between Panda Global and Nintendo-the kind of competitive circuit long demanded by the proswith a substantial fee to the host organizers to help cover costs.

Nintendo’s new guides have only been announced for Europe and Japan so far, but many believe it’s only a matter of time until a similar set is posted for North America. The European and Japanese rules will be implemented starting November 15, 2023. That will happen after the dates of Port priority 8 in Seattle, Washington, is one of several tournaments banned under these new rules.

Nintendo did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Leave a comment