Super Smash Bros. Got YouTuber Ludwig in Nintendo Trouble

Gaming YouTuber Ludwig Ahgren, widely known as Ludwig, claims that Nintendo came for his throat with a “childish cease-and-desist” letter a few months ago. The move was prompted by changes he wanted to make to the company’s most popular crossover fighter Super Smash Bros. Melee because of a tournament he was running.

Read More: Nintendo Says It ‘Cares’ Smash Bro. Fans As Tournament Conflict Continues (Update)

on an October 25 video titled “I Got Sued by Nintendo,” Ludwig revealed that a few months ago, Nintendo sent him a Notice of Infringement of Intellectual Property, a formal document stating that the person in question is using an IP without the proper permission of the copyright owner. At the time, Ludwig considered using a version of the Super Smash Bros. Meleeof Pokémon Stadium stage of his tournament—the Ludwig Ahgren Championship Series—which is changed so that it doesn’t change randomly.

“I’ll show you the papers and verify them, but (Nintendo) has posted my address, like, ink on the background of every piece of paper in this infringement notice, so I can’t show you,” Said Ludwig. “But in my very little understanding—I’m a YouTuber after all—it’s basically like a cease-and-desist kid. Because instead of saying, ‘Hey, you need to stop and don’t do this,’ (nintendo) was like, ‘Hey, you have to stop and then follow our rules. You can’t use your rules.'”

Mogul Mail

On October 24, Nintendo announced a slew of new restrictions that fundamentally change Super Smash Bros. tournaments. Now, any event connected to the game must have a maximum of 200 participants, a $5,000 prize pool cap, no sponsors, and use an unmodified version of the game. Commercial tournaments by larger organizers, such as Video Game Boot Camp (VGBC), must obtain a special license from Nintendo to take place. This has led the community, from casuals to professionals, to mourn what could be the end of the esports scene in the game.

It makes sense that people feel a certain way about it. Nintendo doesn’t have the greatest track record of supporting grassroots efforts Super Smash Bros. community. Late last year, in fact, the company caught in a tense dispute between pro players and tournament organizers on top of the cancelled broken World Tour event. Things are heating up as people start boycott events with partnered with Nintendo orgs such as professional esports outfit Panda Global. It’s hard to say what the future holds Smash Bro. events look like.

Kotaku Ludwig and Nintendo have been reached for comment.

Read More: Nintendo shut down broken World Tour, Organizers ‘Lost Hundreds of Thousands of Dollars’ (Updates)

One thing’s for sure, though: Nintendo can’t kill people’s love of gaming. As pro player Joseph “Mang0” Marquez says in a quote that Ludwig plays at the end of his video: “I will play Sugbuanon in my fucking mind. packing Sugbuanon alive, I will play (it), and if you take everything, we will play (it) in a garage.

Leave a comment